Most Popular Funeral Songs
Funerals are emotional occasions, and music plays a vital role in setting the tone for the occasion. Some people prefer uplifting songs; others prefer more sombre pieces. In either case, choosing funeral music can be tricky, especially if your loved one hasn’t pre-planned their funeral.
Research by British based funeral company, Co-op Funeralcare, shows that music choices for funerals are changing with contemporary songs taking the place of traditional hymns more and more. In fact, there hasn’t been a traditional hymn in the top ten musical choices at funerals since 2002.
Rock songs, pop songs and songs that make people laugh now feature heavily in requests made to funeral directors, reflecting changing attitudes towards death, grief and funerals.
Here are the top 10 most popular funeral songs according to Co-op Funeralcare.
10. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life – Eric Idle
9. We’ll Meet Again – Vera Lynn
8. You Raise Me Up – Westlife
7. Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
6. Supermarket Flowers – Ed Sheeran
5. Angels – Robbie Williams
4. Wind Beneath My Wings – Bette Midler
3. Over The Rainbow – Eva Cassidy
2. Time to Say Goodbye – Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman
1. My Way – Frank Sinatra
Other popular funeral songs include:
- Rock song – Led Zeppelin’s Stairway To Heaven
- Indie song – Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
- Pop – Lady Gaga’s Always Remember Us This Way
- Hymns – Abide With Me and All Things Bright And Beautiful
Remember, funerals are a unique celebration of your loved one’s life and there is no such thing as “inappropriate” music: play the music they loved and you can’t go wrong.